New Treatments for acute lymphoblastic leukemia
What is l-asparaginase used for?
L-asparaginase is used, mainly in children, in order to treat a cancer of the white blood cells named Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia in such patients who have had an allergic reaction to other identical products.
How does l asparaginase work?
The l-asparaginase 10000 iu specifically is an anti blood cell cancer treatment which belongs to the antineoplastic and immunomodulating agents. It mainly works in order to lower the levels of asparagine in the body, a substance the cancer cells required in order to survive.
- Into a vein by infusion (intravenous use).
- Into a muscle by injection (intramuscular use).
This drug should be injected or infused by your healthcare practitioner. Prior to you are administered the first l-asparaginase dose the powder is very carefully dissolved (in a solution of sodium chloride). Treatment should normally be given without interruption. In case the treatment has to be interrupted it may be initiated again at the lower dose.
Warning and Precautions: Discuss with your healthcare practitioner, before using this new treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia:
- The l-asparaginase may only be used by healthcare practitioners who specialise in this sort of treatment.
- Hazardous life threatening allergic reactions have been noticed. In case you have a reaction to this treatment the hospital must have special medicinal products as well as equipment in order to treat you.
- Body of patients taking this medicine may become sensitive to the active substance following repeated treatments.
- In case you have abdominal pain, it may be an indication of pancreatitis and must be reported to your healthcare team promptly. Fatal results linked with pancreatitis have noted.
- Hyperglycemia may occur while on treatment. It may be controlled by the receiving insulin.
- While on treatment, the body's ability in order to prevent excessive bleeding could be affected. In case you have any significant bleeding, treatment must be stopped. Your healthcare professional will specify if, and when, treatment needs to be restarted.
- Liver dysfunction may be caused or worsened when using erwinase 10000. Treatment should be interrupted in the event of a severe reaction. Treatment only can be restarted if close monitoring is imposed.
- In case a healthcare practitioner spills this drug on you or himself/herself, mainly in the eyes, the body part in question needs to be rinsed through plenty of water for 15-minutes.
- The neurological disorders have been observed with the fatal results. The posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome (characterised by confusion, headache, seizures and visual loss) may require blood-pressure lowering drugs and in case of seizure, anti epileptic treatment.
- Kidney impairment because of the high levels of a substance named uric acid in your blood may occur, caused by the destruction of cancerous cells.
- A decreased immune system while taking treatment with this medicine has occurred. This may be responsible for increasing your probability of an infection.
- The l-asparaginase uses should be avoided if you are pregnant unless clearly indicated. Tell your healthcare practitioner straight away in case you are pregnant, become pregnant while on treatment with this drug, or want to become pregnant in the near future.
- You should avoid Breast-feeding your baby while on your treatment with this medication.
- Abdominal discomfort
- High temperature
Storage: Keep l asparaginase injection out of the sight and reach of children. It should be stored in a refrigerator (between +2°C and +8°C) by the hospital and must not be used following the expiry date.
What is l asparaginase price?
The l-asparaginase price in india is absolutely reasonable and may vary depending on the wholesaler/pharmacy you visit.
The erwinase price for the 10000 intl units is around 1,515,600 INR for a supply of 5 powder for the injection.
Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Medications: Apart from l-asparaginase injection, there are some other commonly recommended acute lymphoblastic leukemia medications, which are as follows:
- Arranon (Nelarabine)
- Asparaginase Erwinia chrysanthemi
- Asparlas (Calaspargase Pegol-mknl)
- Besponsa (Inotuzumab Ozogamicin)
- Blincyto (Blinatumomab 35 mcg)
- Cerubidine (Daunorubicin Hydrochloride)
- Clolar (clofarabine injection)
- Erwinaze (Asparaginase Erwinia Chrysanthemi)
- Gleevec (Imatinib mesylate tablet)
- Iclusig (Ponatinib Hydrochloride)
- Kymriah (Tisagenlecleucel)
- Marqibo (Vincristine Sulfate Liposome)
- Oncaspar (Pegaspargase)
- Purinethol (Mercaptopurine)
- Purixan (Mercaptopurine)
- Rubidomycin (Daunorubicin Hydrochloride)
- Sprycel (Dasatinib)
- Trexall (Methotrexate Sodium)